A public information campaign to help people reduce energy bills this winter was pulled by No 10 on the grounds of cost, a cabinet minister has said.
The campaign to encourage household energy saving would have cost up to £15m, Nadhim Zahawi told the BBC’s Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg programme.
The PM’s office raised objections to the plan, the BBC reported on Friday.
And asked about the possibility of winter blackouts, Mr Zahawi said these were “very unlikely”.
Amid concerns about rising household energy costs, the government has said it would limit average bill rises to £2,500 through government borrowing, at a cost of £60bn for six months.
To help people save energy and cut costs, the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) had been preparing a public information campaign.